The Q&A Archives: Info on tall, thin privacy shrubs, please for zone 9a

Question: I've recently moved into a neighborhood in which the house lots are long and very narrow (single-car garage narrow). As a result I have a fairly tiny, narrow front yard. I would like to plant privacy shrubs along the inside of my property line in the front so we are not right on top of our neighbors all the time and to shade the front yard. So I'm wondering what to plant. The shrubs requirements would be: 1) Zone 9A, full sun appropriate; 2) Fast growing to at least 6 feet; 3) Able to have be trimmed to a narrow width so to not take up valuable square footage, they'll need to be tall & narrow; 4) Visually appealing. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Answer: Lauree,

Those are some pretty limiting factors for a shrub to meet but I understand the situation you are in. I would consider the following as possible options:

Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil'
Grows 6 to 8 feet tall and 2 to 3 feet wide.

Juniperus virginiana 'Skyrocket' (J. scopulorum 'Skyrocket')
Fast grower to 15 to 20 feet tall, 2 to 3 feet wide.

Ask your county Extension Office how these do in your area as you are on the southern end of their adaptable range. Also consider a clumping type of bamboo (not a running type).