The Q&A Archives: My bushy dahlias plants don't get any buds!

Question: I dig up my dahlias every fall, let them dry and pack them up... exactly what is supposed to be done - but in the last two years I have noticed that some of my healthy plants never get buds, some do, other one's do not. I know they do not like

Answer: You're right, too much nitrogen can result in lots of lush, green growth, at the expense of flowers so feeding with a low nitrogen fertilizer is best. Use a 5-10-10 and feed early in the season, after the stems have begun to emerge. Since your plants are getting plenty of sunshine and water, the only explanation to non-flowering is that you might be planting them too deeply. The tubers should be planted only 4-5" below the soil surface. Hope this information helps!