The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: I brought in my hibiscus (the potted ones that you sell every spring for instant color) last fall. This spring it was tall with very few leaves. I cut it back. It has beautiful foliage now but no blooms. What should I do now or what should I have done?

Answer: I think you've done everything right so far. If you didn't prune it back it would remain leggy (bare stems at the bottom; foliage only on the tips of the branches). By pruning it back you encouraged healthy new growth which makes your plant look full. Hibiscus blooms best in the heat of summer. They also bloom in a cycle. Your plant has recovered from the pruning as evidenced by the lush, green growth. As soon as it has enough heat and sunlight it will develop flower buds. I expect it will take another 2-3 weeks. Then you can really enjoy your plant!