The Q&A Archives: lawn care

Question: when is the best time to put down bug killer and which is the best to use. I have st augustine grass and I have tried using the Ortho, and Bayer Advance and apperently I can not seem to prevent them from damaging my lawn. please advice. thanks

Answer: Sonny,

I suggest you first determine the cause(s) of your lawn problems. It could be an insect such as chinch bugs or grubs, but may also be a disease such as Take All patch. If you've used Bayer Advanced and still have problems I suggest a diagnosis is needed.

Bring a sample to your Extension Office for diagnosis. It is important that the sample be of sick (not dead) grass, taken from the zone between healthy and dead grass. Take 1 or 2 samples about 4X4" in size (larger is fine) with roots and some soil attached. Place the samples in a zip close or twist tie closed plastic bag.

Your Extension Office's contact info is:

(386) 822-5778
West Volusia

(386) 257-6012
Daytona Beach

(386) 423-3368
New Smyrna Beach

Volusia County Agricultural Center
3100 E. New York Ave.
DeLand, FL 32724