The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Palm Trees

Question: I have 5 coconut palms with yellowed fronds. I fear lethal yellowing, but they manage to grow a bunch of large coconuts, and they seem to be growing fine. I want to improve their color and have tried fertilizing and magnesium. I have a smaller 3 stemmed palm (not sure of the type) that seems to be struggling as well. the fronds have yellow/brown spots and the tips are brown/black. Can you give me advise on what will help these trees? Do they need mycorrhizal treatment as other websites suggest? Thanks.

Answer: Maria,

That is a tough call as many things can cause yellowing of palms. I suggest you take some photos of the tree and perhaps a frond sample if you can get one to your County Extension office to see if they can identify the problem with a sample in hand, or a photo to look at. Their contact info is:
559 N. Military Trail
West Palm Beach, FL 33415