The Q&A Archives: Controlling Mildew on Peat Pellets

Question: Last year was my first year starting seeds indoors under a grow light using peat pellets. I started everything at the end of March. Three weeks later, everything had mildew on the outside of the peat pellets. What am I doing wrong? Everything seemed to grow all right and I transplanted all into larger pots, but even after drying out the pellets the mildew was still there. Thanks. Marilyn Schafer Weidman, MI

Answer: Your peat pots probably got too wet. Peat is great at absorbing and holding moisture, so if the peat is fully wet with cool water and the air is stagnant, then mildew will grow. You can water a bit less, use warm water when watering and put a small fanon near the seedlings to promote air circulation. This should help..