The Q&A Archives: Bees in Shrubs

Question: We have a shrub that we cannot even go is saturated with bees. We've tried Wasp & Hornet killer..they work temporarily but the bees (at least that's what I think they are) keep coming back. Any quick fix?

Answer: Bees are attracted to the nectar in flowers. If it is a flowering shrub, your only control measure would be to prune it back before it flowers. If it is not a flowering shrub but bees are still attracted to it, it must be exuding some sugary sap. Rather than use Wasp and & Hornet killer, try just hosing the plant off with plain water. (If you kill the bees, they won't transfer pollen and you or your neighbors won't get any vegetables from their gardens or fruits from their fruit trees.) If you set a sprinkler aimed to saturate the leaves and branches of the plant every half-hour during daylight hours for several days in a row, I'll bet the flying pests will go elsewhere. They hate getting wet!