The Q&A Archives: when to water ane how to feed begonias

Question: hi,
my husband bought me 5 hanging basket begonias. they can take full sun. we have them haging on our front porch,which faces east. how often do i water. do i wait for them to be dry then water, or do i keep them moist. also when do i fertilize and is miracle grow time release capsules ok.i am zone 6
thank you, linda Blankenship

Answer: Linda,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Those begonias like to have their soil moistened well and then allowed to dry out just slightly before being watered again. If you keep the soil soggy wet they can rot and die by don't let them stay too dry for too long. Fertilize them with Miracle Grow soluble plant food at the low label rate, or if you like you can use the timed release product too.