The Q&A Archives: Raspberry leaves

Question: I just planted new Latham Raspberry bushes this spring.. I'm delighted to say that they are berrying wonderfully and taste fabulous! My only other problem is that it looks like there are pests that must be eating at the leaves as there are many holes in the leaves. I took a picture in case you'd like to see what I'm talking about. What can I put on the bushes to get rid of the pests, but is also safe because my 2 year old son loves to help me garden. Thanks so much!

Britt Hageman

Answer: There are a few garden pests that like to feed on raspberry leaves; sawfly larvae and Japanese beetles are the most common. Neither do a great deal of harm to the plants so, especially since you've got a 2 year old gardener in tow, I'd suggest you just leave the plants to fend for themselves. You'll eventually be cutting down the bearing canes. As long as you remove all the debris from the garden, and if you cultivate the soil (shallowly) around the canes to expose any pupating insects to weather and birds, your plants should be just fine.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!