The Q&A Archives: What can I do now?

Question: I'm a first-time homeowner. Have to admit I don't have any lawn or gardening experience. I bought Scotts Turfbuilder Weed and Feed to get rid of dandelions that had taken over my front lawn. Due to inexperience, I used 2 bags to cover the front yard, which is very small. Needless to say, my grass now has a burned, dead look. It looks absolutely horrible. Please tell me now what I can do or what products I can buy to revive my lawn? Thank you,

Answer: I think there are several lessons to be learned here. First, it's important to read the label prior to purchasing a product and then to read it again before applying the product. Second, it's important to apply in amounts as recommended on the label. Using too much of a weed and feed product can overwhelm even healthy grasses and damage them beyond repair. Weed and feed products contain both selective and non-selective herbicides. These chemicals cause the same reaction to plants, whether they are considered weeds or desireable plants in your garden. I'm afraid the damage is already done and there's not much you can do to stop it. You can try to flood the remaining product out of the soil, but the residual herbicide will simply have to degrade on its own. I can't predict the extent of the damage; your lawn may recover with copious amounts of water, or it may have to be replaced. Wish I had more positive news to share with you! Water like crazy all summer long to try and leach the salts from fertilizer and weed killer, then in the fall reseed your lawn.

Best wishes with your landscape!