The Q&A Archives: Red Banana Trees

Question: Can you please give me some suggestions on caring for Red Banana Trees? I planted three of them about a month ago. They seem to grow new leaves however, their trunks are a yellowish color and the leaves seem to be splitting and drying out. We had some very hot days and I watered them everyday. Now that its cool down, I water every other day. I've also added some food hoping that will help. Please advise!

Answer: It sounds as though your banana plant is suffering in the summer sunshine. While they will grow in full sun, I find that they appreciate a little protection from hot afternoon sun in the summertime. The leaves will split when exposed to winds (and it doesn't take much to start to split). At this point I think I'd leave it where it is but plan on moving it to a more sheltered location next spring. You can hardly overwater or overfeed a banana plant so continue to water when you go outdoors and feed about every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. There's nothing you can do about the sunscald on the plant but eventually the top of your plant will die down and a new shoot will emerge from the root system. Best wishes with your banana plant!