The Q&A Archives: We have tall st augustine grass and my fiancee never bags; is it possible the grass is dying out bec

Question: Should you hag your grass every so often if it looks like the mulching process is accumulating on top of the grass and suffocating it. In the beginning of the growing season, we planted some sod and it was fairly tall, then it rained pretty good; however, I am noticing yellow tips on the grass and it doesn't seem to be getting water, and there are clumps of

Answer: Dana,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Not bagging itself doesn't create a thatch problem. Thatch accumulates when turf is watered and fertilized a lot creating excessive growth. The clippings are actually good for the turf and decompose quite rapidly. It may be that you all need mow more often which is much better with the turf than an infrequent mowing schedule.