The Q&A Archives: How do I kill weeds

Question: How do I kill weeds and when should I plant better grass for my yard?

Answer: There are a number of weed killers on the market suitable for use in lawns. Scott's has an extensive line. It's too late to reseed at this time so just keep the lawn area watered to keep it green for the rest of the summer. Then in early September you can overseed your lawn and the new seeds should germinate and grow during the fall months. In the spring, put your lawn on a regular watering, mowing and feeding schedule. A lush, healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds. Lawns need about an inch of water per week. Watering deeply but infrequently will promote deep rooting, which will make your lawn more drought tolerant during the summer months. Feed your lawn in April, June, September and late November or early December. Home Depot generally has just the right fertilizer on sale at just the right time to apply it in your growing region so watch your newspaper for the ads. And, mowing regularly will help keep your lawn healthy. You'll want to keep it at 1 1/2 to 2" so move as often as necessary during the spring and summer months. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Pacific Blue Ice"