The Q&A Archives: Bougainvillia Care

Question: I have kept two bougainvillia baskets in a west window all winter. What do I need to do to them to get them ready for this spring?

Answer: It is sometimes difficult to get bougainvillea to re-flower the second season but it is sure worth a try. You probably decreased water, temperature, and water over the winter - go ahead and start increasing those. Gradually start watering a little moreoften (but never let the soil get to the point it could be considered "wet"), expose to areas with greater warmth and start fertilizing (look for a mix specifically for blooming plants, in general, the last two numbers will be larger, such as 5-10-10). Apply according to package instructions. Bouganvillea like quite a bit of light also, and mist the leaves occasionally. Good Luck!