The Q&A Archives: Bermuda Grass.. Grrr!

Question: Can you tell me a good grass and weed killer for flower beds that won't kill the flowers as well. I can not keep ther bermuda grass from coming into my flower bed and trying to take over. Please help! Thanks

Answer: Crabgrass is really difficult to control in flower beds (as you've discovered). The first plan of attack is to pull the weeds, including the roots; the second is to lay a thick mulch over the bed to prevent sunlight from penetrating (weed barrier or several thicknesses of newspapers plus decorative bark or rock); the third option is to use a herbicide and spot treat the pesky weeds. You can use something like Round-Up near your flowers if you're careful not to allow over-spray to drift onto them. Once you have the weeds out you can use a pre-emergent such as Preen. It is safe to use in flower beds and will stop crabgrass seeds from germinating.

Best wishes with your project!