The Q&A Archives: Luna Hibiscus

Question: I purchased a luna hibiscus and planted it in a pot on my deck. I liked the compactness of the plant. When I planted it, and watered it the next day alot of the buds turned yellow. So then i went to watering it every other day and it seemed fined, but when it started blooming the blooms don't last long. Did the yellowing occur from the shock of the transplant or was I watering too much? How can I get the blooms to last longer?

Answer: I think it was suffering from transplant shock but now that it is growing and flowering, it sounds as though you've corrected the problem. I wish there were a magic wand I could wave over your plant to make the flowers last longer than a day, but, as fantastic as they are, they will only last a day. Once they shrivel up and die, your plant will direct its energy into making new flowers. Luckily, hibiscus blooms throughout the summer, even if each bloom lasts only a day.