The Q&A Archives: Hibiscs leaves turning yellow

Question: I bought a hibiscus tree form HD a few weeks ago, planted it and all seemed well. But now all of a sudden, the leaves are turning yellow right before my eyes. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: Yellowing can be a symptom of several issues. If you just planted it, it may be suffering from too transplant shock. It will recover as soon as the roots have re-established themselves. If the yellowing is primarily at the base, it may be dropping older lower leaves as it grows and develops new foliage at the growing tips. Or, it may be responding to overwatering. Make sure you water deeply but infrequently (twice a week should be fine during the summer months). Sometimes yellowing can be a sign of lack of nutrients. Use a water soluble or slow release fertilizer (such as 10-10-10 plus minors) per the label directions. Yellowing can also be a sign of insect infestation. Check the plant carefully from top to bottom. I hope this helps you troubleshoot.