The Q&A Archives: Growing Raspberries

Question: I used to love picking the raspberries that grew wild back in the Midwest, and would like to try my hand at growing them here in my backyard garden. I know raspberries generally like a colder climate than mine here in Southern California, but was hoping you might be able to offer some suggestions.

Answer: Raspberry growing in your area will be a real challenge, but you can give it a try. Purchase fall-bearing raspberry plants and treat them like annuals by cutting the canes down to the ground after they've produced fruit. In spring new canes will appear and bear a new crop of berries. Many growers have been successful with this technique. Try one of these varieties: "Newburgh", "Durham" or "Bababerry".