The Q&A Archives: My Phalaenopsis Orchid flowers have fallen off.

Question: My Phalaenopsis Orchid plant has lost all of its flowers, and I notice this morning the top of the stem is turning yellow (bottom still green). I moved it from the dining room table where it was getting some sun light not too much, now I have it the window with direct sunlight. Plese help! Thank you. The plant was a gift in April.

Answer: It sounds as though your plant has finished flowering and is ready for a rest. Most growers cut back the flower stalk (called inflorescence) after blooming to allow the plant to rest. The belief is that the next flower spike will be stronger. For phaleaenopsis orchids, some growers induce a secondary flower spike by cutting above just above dormant buds that are located below the first flower on the flower stem. Sometimes, a small baby plant (called a keiki) will develop instead. Leave it until roots develop and then it can be removed and potted. I hope this info helps!