The Q&A Archives: ivy on a sunny hillside

Question: Hi. I have an unsightly hillside on the front of my property. A few years ago, my daughter threw a whole bag of thisle seeds for the birds to eat. (needless to say they didn't) Now I have an ugly hillside and spiny weeds growing two feet tall as my introduction to my home. If I use fabric landscaping material and ivy plants in a sunny hillside location; will the ivy help to control the weeds and look nicer? Thank You!

Answer: I'd pull out the thistle and then lay landscape fabric over the area (it will stop any remaining seeds from germinating) and will keep other weeds out, as well. You can then punch holes in the landscape fabric to plant. Ivy is a good choice for complete coverage of a sunny hillside.

Best wishes with your garden!