The Q&A Archives: Pink Pearl Apple

Question: I need information on a pink pearl apple with semi dwarf root stock. How many chill hours are needed? Does it require a pollinator and what variety? When does it bloom? When is it harvested? Where can I get one? Does it tolerate heat? Thank you. B.L.Choate Baton Rouge, LA

Answer: Pink pearl is a medium size apple with bright pink flesh. It has a rich, sweet flavor and makes a colorful applesauce! Pink pearl requires 600 hours of chilling so is a good variety for the south. It blooms early, requires cross-pollination, and ripensin September. Plants may be purchased from Classical Fruit, 8831 Al Hwy 157, Moulton, AL 35650, telephone number (205) 974-8813. They should be able to tell you more about the fruit's heat tolerance..