The Q&A Archives: Transplanted Baby Japanese Maple

Question: I just transplanted two baby japanese maples into a big pot. One is doing well, the other's leaves are dying and it doesn't look too good. Please let me know what I can do to save the maple. I planted them both in miracle gro and they are in direct sunlight. They are in big pots, so, can easily be moved to indirect sun. I just don't understand how one is doing well and the other is not. Thank you.

Answer: I think you're seeing transplant shock and why only one is affected, I really don't know. The best thing you can do for your trees is to move them into a shadier spot, at least until they re-establish their roots and begin to show new growth. As a rule Japanese maples prefer morning sun and protection from hot afternoon sunshine - at least while they're young. I'd move the pot into a more protected area for now. The puny one should perk up and the nice looking one will continue to look good.

Best wishes with your Japanese maples!