The Q&A Archives: Colorado Beetles on Potatoes

Question: We have heard that there has been progress in developing a potato hybrid that resists Colorado Beetle infestation. Does Burpee carry such a potato? If not, are you working on developing such a potato strain?

Answer: There is a lot of controversy about this research. For years gardeners and organic growers have used B.T., a biological control, for controlling Colorado potato beetle. It has proven to be very effective at controlling the beetle larvae. Researchers are trying to incorporate B.T. into potato plants. In theory, it sounds great, but in reality, there is a chance that if B.T. were common in potato plants, the beetles would soon develop resistant strains. That is why it is always best to use the minimum amount and frequency of any pesticide applications--to reduce the chance that the pest will develop resistance.<br><br>I'm not aware of Burpee pursuing this research themselves. I'll be curious to see how the controversy works out.