The Q&A Archives: hibiscus

Question: I recently bought a perennial hibiscus and it came with no instructions. I live in CT and other than planting it in a sunny spot and keeping soil moist I'm not sure what to expect or do. Is it anything like an Azalea or Rhododendron? Does the plant completely die down once it gets cold? How tall and wide will it get? I am so new at this and want to do it right. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Answer: Aside from choosing a sunny site and watering regularly, there's not much you need to do for your hardy hibiscus to thrive. It will die down in the winter months and you should remove the plant debris from the garden, but in the spring it will send up new stems and branches and will be full of blooms by early summer. Enjoy!