The Q&A Archives: Late Summer/Early Fall Flowers to plant

Question: I am looking for help with flowers to plant in my flower beds for late summer into early fall. I had a wonderful summer full of petunias, geraniums, snap dragons, etc. Now they are dying and my yard looks so lonely. I'm not really a mum fan, so I hope there is something else that I can plant to fill the space. I would like low maintenance plants that can handle direct sun. Any help is appreciated.

Answer: Beverly,

Marigolds work well when planted now and will bloom up to the first frost. I would also plant zinnias, petunias and salvia for blooms that last until the first frost. In October you can start planting cool season flowers like stock, pansies, viola, dianthus, dusty miler(foliage), and ornamental cabbage and kale.