The Q&A Archives: Crocosmia didn't grow

Question: I purchased a set of Crocosmia corms/bulbs from the Home Depot at the beginning of the spring and planted them immediately thereafter. There were 18 bulbs in the pack; only 6 or so sprouted from the ground and are about to bloom. What happenned to the others? Is this a common problem? How can I make sure they grow next growing season?

Answer: Crocosmia are generally problem free but if the bulbs sit in waterlogged soils they can rot. And, if they are planted too deeply, they may fail to emerge. So, make sure the entire bed drains well before planting again. When you plant, place the bulbs 2-4 inches deep and 2-3 inches apart. Aside from the above, they require full sunshine and adequate water to thrive. Enjoy!