The Q&A Archives: Info. on geraniums and stokeosia

Question: Hi.... What kind of fertilizer do geraniums like?

Also, alot of my Stokeosia flowers are spent. Do I pinch them off just above the next

Answer: Geraniums like a fertilizer low in nitrogen but high in phosphorous (which encourages blooms) and high in potassium (which encourages root growth). Use something like a 5-10-10 on your geraniums.

Stokesia can be pruned back just below the flowers and it will send up new flowering stems. Cutting them back will encourage a second flush of blooms.

Proven Winner plants are those that go through all kinds of tests and trials and win awards depending upon their performance. Waveleaf petunias have won some awards but I can't find them on the list of Proven Winners. Whether or not they're considered worthy of a Proven Winner award, I think they're beautiful plants. Yes, they should be pinched back and the dead flowers should be removed.

Enjoy your garden!