The Q&A Archives: How to care for my tropicals during the winter.

Question: I was wondering what I need to do to care for my hibiscus this winter. I live in the Coastal and Tropical South in Beaumont, Texas. Can I leave them outside until we are issued a freeze warning or should I bring them in and about when should I do so. Also I was wondering the same about my dilapadenias and vincas. They are all in small pots. I need to re-pot them in some bigger pots, but I have little baby sprouts coming in, should I re-pot now or wait till the new sprouts are a little bigger? Thanks for your time.

Answer: Claire,

Go ahead and repot now and they'll be fine. Regarding the hibiscus you can usually get away with leaving them outside until a freeze is forcast and then bringing them indoors until temperatures rise above freezing. However if you want they can also be brought in for the winter if you have a very bright indoor location, to keep them going all winter long.