The Q&A Archives: Gerbera daisy leaves turning brown

Question: We plant Gerberas in pots by the side of our pool every summer and they have always done well. This summer I see the leaves have acquired a brown surface and have started to look leathery and brittle. The daisies are still visible, but many come up and start to wither. I see no pests on the leaves. I water every other day and feed once a month. Is this a fungus?

Sounds like crown rot to me. Gerbera Daisy grow best in full sun and well-drained, sandy soils that have been amended with organic matter. When planting gerbera daisies, the number 1 rule is to keep the plant's crown slightly above the soil line. They are prone to crown rot, and if the crown is too close to the soil line, the disease is more likely to occur. Water infrequently, but deeply. In fact, allow the plants to show a slight wilt between waterings. For best growth, fertilize gerbera daisies each month during the growing season. Use a product containing minor elements, such as a fertilizer formulated for roses. To decrease disease problems, remove spent flowers or dead leaves immediately. I don't know if digging your plants and resetting them so the crown is just at soil level will alleviate the problem, but it's worth a try. I'd also remove any affected foliage. Hope this helps!