The Q&A Archives: Tree Stumps

Question: 1. How do I get rid of tree stumps in my lawn? They range in size - small to large.

2. What should I use to keep deer and rabbits from eating my perennials?

3. Which are the best perennials to use if you have deer, rabbits, and chipmonks. I would like continuous bloom in my perennial garden.

Answer: The only sure way to get rid of tree stumps is to have them ground. You can hire someone to grind the stumps and the large roots and once that's done you won't have to deal with suckers popping up from the dying roots or stumps.

The best way to keep wildlife from your garden is with a fence. Or, you can try the various repellants on the market (i.e. Deer-Away). There are some deer-resistant plants you can use in your landscape. Namely Yarrow, Aquilegia formosa (western columbine), Asarum (wild ginger), Heuchera (coral bells), Lilium humboldtii (Humbolt lily), Mimulus (monkey flower), Romney coulteri (Matillija poppy), and Hosta. Deer won't bother heather, heavenly bamboo or Vinca - at least the deer population in my garden don't touch them. Best wishes with your landscape!