The Q&A Archives: American Elm Tree

Question: I saw in an online article that Home Depot was selling a disease resistant American Elm in 2007 - is this still the case in 2008? Will they be available through the fall? I live in Maryland, and would like to plant two, but not until September or October. Thanks, Jennifer

Answer: There are two disease resistant American elms to look for are 'Valley Forge' and 'New Harmony'. They should be readily available in the fall and again in the spring. 'Valley Forge' grows 26 feet tall, with a 30 foot crown spread at 12 years old. 'New Harmony': 68 feet tall, 72 foot crown spread at maturity.
Once established, trees will grow as much as 3 feet per year. 'Valley Forge' has the classic American elm form: upright, arching, broadly vase-shaped with full, dense leaf canopy. 'New Harmony' has a broadly V-shaped crown with limbs terminating in numerous slender, often drooping, branches.

Whichever you choose, enjoy!