The Q&A Archives: creeping jenny fungus?

Question: I have creeping jenny growing in many parts of my yard successfully for several years. I have one location that is dying. If you pull away the dead floliage there is a white powder on the stems. I have sprayed it often with Immunox from Spectracide but it keeps dying.
What is it and what should I do?

Answer: It sounds like powdery mildew and while the sprays you're using might protect uninvolved plant parts, it won't make the disease go away. I'd pull out the affected plant which will not only remove the disease pathogens from your garden but will also open your plants up to better air circulation. Powdery mildew is a fungus that favors warm days and cool nights. It typically is more of a problem late in the season, but as you've discovered, it can attack during the summer months, too.

Best wishes with your garden!