The Q&A Archives: Peace Lily Wilting

Question: I have had a large peace lily for 5 months now. The leaves are wilting quite considerably. Sometimes even the stalks of the leaves bend over towards the ground. The leaves also are turning yellow and browning, but I've moved it out of the direct sun. I'm keeping it moist - what could be the problem?

Answer: I have a feeling you may have some root damage, if the plant continues to wilt even though you've been keeping it moist.<br><br>Peace lilies needs to be kept evenly moist, but not too wet. They thrive in indirect light--they can get some direct sunlight but should not be left in the bright sun all day. In fact, one of their best features is that they don't require lots of sun, and so are common office plants. <br><br>Watering properly can be a little tricky. If you keep them too moist, you end upwith those dry ends on the leaves, and possibly root rot eventually. However, you can't let them dry out--if you do, they will wilt dramatically--they will collapse to the floor and look dead. When you water them they'll perk up quickly. The plant will begin to show signs of wear--yellow or brown leaves and permanently bent stalks--when you've had to revive it a few times. <br><br>Try to keep soil moisture even--don't let the plant dry out then water heavily. It's sometimes a difficult balance to achieve with this plant. If it's in a particularly dark spot, try moving it to where it gets a little more light. You can trim off unsightly leaves and stalks. The plant is rarely bothered by pests, but you might inspect it anyway, especially for scale. Scale insects look like small, oval bumps, and they secrete a sticky substance called honeydew.