The Q&A Archives: cantaloupe

Question: We planted a Hale cantaloupe seedling that's going wild - how do I stake it so it doesn't take over the entire garden....the description says the fruit will be 4.5 pounds - help.

Answer: Hale's Best is an heirloom cantaloupe, known for its early, sweet fruit and sprawling habit. You can erect a trellis of sorts to train or redirect the vine growth, but if you have a really small space, you may want to simply cut off the end of the vine so it won't grow any more. Of course if you do this you'll only get whatever melons are currently growing - once you cut the growing tip off the vine it will not produce any more flowers or melons. I think I would tend to simply allow the vines to sprawl, tucking them in among the other plants in the garden with the hope of getting lots of melons. Next year, plant your cantaloupes where they have plenty of room to sprawl. Enjoy!