The Q&A Archives: Rhubarb or Chard

Question: I purchased what I thought was rhubarb but the plant stick says "ornamental and nutritious, rhubarb-like stalks. Dark green, red-veined leaves can be cooked like spinach." Since I have always been told that rhubarb leaves are poisonous, I'm not sure what I have. Upon a closer look at the plant stick, I think it says Rhubard. What do I have, and can I use the stalks for pies/jams etc?

Answer: It sounds to me like you have a variety of chard named 'Rhubarb'. Chard is commonly used as a cooked green, either on its own or in stews and soups. 'Rhubarb' is the name of a variety of chard that has reddish-purple stalks and red-veinedleaves. <br><br>If it is indeed rhubarb chard (and the word "rhubard" could be a clever combination of the two words, though I haven't heard it called by that name), then you won't want to use it for pies/jams. Sorry!