The Q&A Archives: plants

Question: My mother in law came to visit a couple of weeks ago and we re-landscaped our front yard. She usually is really good with stuff like this. But some of the plants we planted arent seeming so well. I believe they are perennials. Some seem to be dying. We have water restrictions in the town we live in. Is that hurting them, or should I put plant food down? What do you think?

Answer: Regardless of the water restrictions, newly installed perennials need to be watered at least twice a week during the hot weather. While you don't need to let the hose run for any length of time, you do need to pour a gallon or two of water on each plant every 3-4 days until the weather cools off. Don't use any fertilizer now - plants under water stress cannot deal with fertilizer. Wait until next spring when new growth begins, then feed your perennials.

Good luck with your landscape!