The Q&A Archives: What houseplants are poisonous to pets, and how do you keep pets away from them??

Question: Is there a way you could send me some information not only on what house plants are poisonous to both cats and dogs, and more importantly, how do you train the animals to stay away from the ones that can harm them? I just got married, and my wife loves her plants, but I also have two small dogs, and two cats. They mean the world to me, so I don't want to see anything happen to them. Please help. God bless.

Paul Davis

Answer: There are two outstanding websites you'll want to visit and perhaps print off. One is Cornell University, the other from Denver Plants. Both have comprehensive lists of poisonous and non-poisonous plants. Here are the addresses:

As for keeping your pets away from the plants, training is your first option, barriers are the second. Wish I could help with those!