The Q&A Archives: pruning

Question: Have a grapefruit tree that has been erratic in fruit production.most years it produces fruit only on one section of the tree. tree is 10 years old .last 3-4 yrs has been producing approx. 17-25 grapefruit a year.It is now approx15ft high and I do not know what to prune off, as the tree seems to produce fruit in different areas each year.thanks bill gardner

Answer: Bill,

That is strange and I have never heard of such a thing. I can't help but wonder what is different for the unproductive sections of the tree...lack of sunlight, sprayed with pesticide during bloom, ????

I suggest you try contacting your County Extension Office to see if they have any way of assisting. They are experts in your local situation and may be aware of something unusual that might be going on with grapefruit tree in your area. Their contact info is:

St. Johns County Extension, 3125 Agricultural Center Drive, St. Augustine, FL 32092-0572
Phone: (904) 209-0430