The Q&A Archives: Lawn Tractor

Question: I work at home depot and I want to get to know the department.. a little better so I have a bunch of questions. For a lawn tractor, which cut width would you recommend for these situations? An atea less then 2 acres; An area between 2 1/2 and 3 acres.

Answer: Here are some general guidelines to help you choose. Be aware of the width between any obstacles - you won't be able to mow between close obstacles if the cutting blade has a wide swath.

1/2 to 1 acre lawn: You will need a mower with at least a 14 hp engine and a 42" cutting width.

1 to 2 acres lawn: A cutting width of between 42" and 46" with a 14 to 16hp engine should be adequate.

3 Acres and above For this size lawn area an engine size of between 18 and 24 hp and a 46" to 54" cutting deck would be the best buy.

Hope this information is helpful.