The Q&A Archives: Whiteflies infestation

Question: whiteflies have overtaken my garden especially the
tomatoe plants. How do I get rid of them and
how do I prevent them from returning next year?

Answer: Whiteflies can be a terrible nuisance! Wherever there are populations of bad bugs (whiteflies), there's a population of good bugs (such as lace wings) waiting in the wings - providing you don't kill the good guys off with insecticides! When the natural balance of predators is exterminated, whitefly populations can soar. Insecticidal soap is still your best defense, but the application must be thorough (undersides of leaves, especially lower leaves, and all the stems), and repeat applications are necessary. Or you might consider releasing some lace wing insects or minute pirate bugs, to recapture the balance and eliminate the whiteflies. Patience and persistence will give you the upperhand in dealing with whitefly pests. Best of luck in your garden!