The Q&A Archives: Herman's Pride?

Question: Hi! I bought 3 4-inch containers of Herman's Pride at the Home Depot in April or so. I ended up planting them in 3 different areas of the garden. Recently-- like last week-- I wanted to bring them all to the same area but noticed that two of them that had been in the sun had faded quite a bit to the point where the white etchings are not visible. Will this condition go away now that they are all in a shady spot, or should I cut away those leaves? Also, none of these little Herman's Pride bloomed those yellow flowers that I was hoping that they would. What happened???
Thanks! Angela

Answer: You did your plants a favor by moving them to a slightly shadier spot. They suffer in dry soils in hot sunshine. You can prune the plants back to remove the faded foliage and to encourage a new flush of foliage. Herman's Pride blooms in early to mid-spring so you may have missed their flowers this year. They should flower for you next year.