The Q&A Archives: Flowering Quince

Question: I have 3 flowering quince shrubs that are not producing flowers and are very straggly. Many branches dead just coming out of soil. How do I get them back in shape.

Answer: Sounds as though your quinces need to be pruned back, both to encourage new growth and flowering next spring and to get rid of that leggy look. Since they flower very early in the year you'll want to prune now (in August) to give the new growth a chance to harden off before cold weather sets in. Begin by removing anything that is obviously dead and then trimming the rest of the shrub back by a third. Wherever you cut you should get new growth. This new growth should develop flower bud s in late summer, early fall, which should open next winter/spring.

Best wishes with your garden!