The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple

Question: Hello,

I bought a Japanese Maple tree a several weeks ago, after plant it for a couple of weeks, the leaves are starting to dry up even I increase the amount of water that I water it everyday. Not sure how to save my maple tree, please help.

Thank you,

Answer: Japanese maples are sensitive to hot summer sunshine. Some will outgrow this but others (especially those with filagree foliage) won't. So, make sure your tree has some protection from hot afternoon sunshine (if it doesn't, plan on moving it this winter while it is dormant). Don't water every day - that's excessive and will cause more problems. When soil is saturated for long periods of time it drives out the oxygen which can suffocate the roots. For right now, water deeply once each week and plan on moving your tree to a more protected spot late this fall or in early winter.

Best wishes with your Japanese maple!