The Q&A Archives: English Ivy

Question: I want to get rid of English Ivy. Tried Roundup but it didn't work. What else can I do? Thank you.

Answer: Controlling established English ivy with herbicides is not very successful because of the waxy leaves. There is also a risk to non-target plants from run-off of the waxy leaves. In fact, English ivy is considered tolerant of many of the commonly
used herbicides. Some success has been achieved by focusing applications on young, actively growing plants. If herbicides are used, make sure that their use is allowed at your site. When using an herbicide follow all label directions. I think the best advice is to contact your local noxious weed control program for control guidelines in your area.

Your other option is pulling and hand digging the plants. If you keep at it, you'll eventually starve out the roots and the plants will die off. Wish I had more options to share!