The Q&A Archives: Care of Phlox plants

Question: I have a beautiful grouping of phlox (large white heads). This is the second year of blooming. How is best to dead-head them?

Answer: Phlox seedlings usually revert to pale magenta so to keep your plants the color you chose initially, it's important to "deadhead" or remove clusters of faded flowers so mature, viable seeds are not dropped to the ground. Some newer phlox cultivars are sterile, but even then, deadheading is a good idea because it results in more attractive plants. And sometimes if you fertilize again, phlox may put out an unexpected second smaller flush of blooms. I simply shear the plants to remove the spent flowers and stems. They will look more attractive and may even rebloom for you.