The Q&A Archives: Pests eating newly planted shrubs

Question: I'm not sure what kind of pest is eating my newly planted shrubs, but they eat the young branch & all! Do chipmunks do this & what can I do to deter pests from destroying my new shrubs? I have more I want to plant this fall or in the spring.
Thank You
Jeanette McNeil

Answer: I'm really not sure what might be eating the new growth on your shrubs. Could be bunnies, could be deer, might even be chipmunks. Without knowing for sure, I can only offer general advice - there are some critter repellants on the market. Deer Away is effective against deer and bunnies and it may even deter chipmunks. You spray it on your most vulnerable plants. Or, you might want to just temporarily cover the shrubs with birdnetting. At least with a physical barrier your shrubs will not be injured. Once they become established and grow larger they should be able to tolerate occasional nibbling by garden marauders.

Best wishes with your garden.