The Q&A Archives: Turfallo grass

Question: What is your opinion of turfallo grass for North Central Texas? I saw a flyer regarding it while I was in Lubbock. The grass was developed by Texas Tech. If it truly matches the advertising hype it might be be the answer I need for the side of my lot that marches with city property near a creek.

Answer: Sherry,

That is a new grass so much is still to be learned about it that time will tell. I have not seen any university trial data on it but reports from individuals are positive so far. Keep in mind that buffalo grass as a species is drought tolerant but turns brown early on when rain is limited as a survival technique. It is also not a strong competitor against weeds which tend to invade it more easily that with some other types of grasses.