The Q&A Archives: Red Tip Photinia

Question: I planted 4 Red Tip Bushes about 4 years ago. They have never grown tall. The deer kept eating the leaves. I moved them in different spots. Three died, the fourth is starting to sprout new leaves now. What can I do to make it grow larger the way it should?

Answer: Usually the opposite is true - photinia typically grows so fast that you have to whack it back each year! Deer browsing can be a problem so try covering the plant with bird netting while it is trying to recover. Once it growth thick and lush, a little deer-pruning won't hurt it. Photinia grows best in full sunshine and will need one deep soaking each week until the roots are well established. Draping bird netting over the plant will keep the deer from nibbling, lots of sunshine and regular water will help your photinia thrive.

Best wishes with your garden!