The Q&A Archives: Pond plants

Question: I have a partially above ground pond and have spend quite alot of money on pond plants (I didn't know the ones I bought as pond plants could be bought as regular plants and much cheaper) my question is I am closing the pond up (draining and bringing the fish in for the winter) how do I store my plants? Do they have to be in water or in their own pots, kept wet or dry. I have the following plants:Elephant Ear, Calla Lilly, Chameleon Plant, Bloody Dock, Water Violet, Horsetail Rush, Water Lilly, Cannas, Corkscrew Rush. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer: Some aquatic plants will winter over in deep ponds, provided the water doesn't completely freeze solid. If so, you'll need to winter them over in a protected place. Your elephant's ear, and calla lily will go dormant in the fall. When this happens, cut the dead foliage from the bulbs and store in a cool, dry location. Chameleon plant can be grown indoors just as any houseplant. Bloody Dock needs to be placed in an aquarium over the winter months; likewise with water violet. The water lily will overwinter if you place it in a jar in the refrigerator. The roots must be kept moist and although the tops will likely die down as long as the roots are kept wet and above freezing, the plant will survive. The rushes will go dormant during the winter months and you can just set them in a bucket of water in the garage. Change the water periodically to keep it from getting stagnant.

Good luck with your pond plants!