The Q&A Archives: eucalyptus tree

Question: my Eucalyptus suddenly began to fade and is now turing a light tan. It look like it's dead, but does not drop it's leaves. Is it ok? It has been in the same spot for over a year and was doing great. Some leaves are actually turing a dark red closer to the trunk. The leaves are round and not long as in pictures.

Answer: The sudden death you describe, when leaves hang onto the branches rather than fall, usually indicates a vascular problem. For some reason the fluids normally transported from the roots through the trunk and branches and into the leaves has stopped. This can happen when there's root or crown rot, which is usually due to overly wet soils, or if the roots have been exposed to herbicides which essentially kills them. I don't know if your tree will survive or if it will recover. Try taking some samples of the problem (or some close up photos of the tree) to your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis. There may be something you can do to help your tree recover. Hope so!